Its about me right now

Its about me right now

Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Occupy Wall Street


Most people already know, that my apartment is on wall street. But if you didn't know you know! This protest is something that I deal with on a Daily bases. The first week, it was very small and I didn't know what was going on. But the 2nd week came and I have not had peace since then. They have wall street blocked off so the side walks are they only when to get around and it normally is covered by tourist. So it's traffic almost 24-7. They are always so many cops all over wall street. I don't think I have ever felt so safe before.  Then they have days and nights that wall street is "frozen" meaning you have to live on wall street or work on it to get on it. They decide this knowing what the protest have been up to and what they have planned. There was one night that I got off work late and was on the subway line 4, when I normally take the 2, and get to the front of wall street and the cops wouldn't let me in because I had no proof of residence or a NY idea...I finally convinced them to call my apartment and talk to them. The cop took down the phone number and called them on his phone and after about 5 minutes, I finally was able to walk through! That has happened more than once now!!! The park that they are "occupying" is about 5 minutes from my  apartment so I don't deal with them on a daily bases but they affect a lot around me. One sunday, I decided to spend some time at the park and try to learn about what they are really protesting and just to be educated on what has been affecting my daily routine so much. It was pretty interesting. Of course, the day I choose to go was the day after the huge pepper spray incident, so more cops and they protesters were very aggressive that day. Its still pretty crazy to me to know that this is something I am right in the middle. This is something that I will never forget and will one day talk to my children about! I do believe this protest is making history. 














No comments:

Post a Comment